Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Welcome to the Big Apple

Today was my very first day of my internship and the first full day I've spent in the City. After having to be at work at 10 am and not getting off till 6:30, I can now say that going to class is SO much easier than working full time. Although I spent the majority of my day unpacking jewelry boxes and then filling orders for Fall/Winter sales on Gilt. Yes, I said Gilt Groupe. Six hours of checking jewelry for defects, tagging boxes, filling individual boxes, rubber banding them, and then saran wrapping two orders of 25, one 50, 75, and 100. Yes, it is very time consuming. But, I can't complain because I got to see one of the new designs for Anne Taylor and got to see Pallo (asst. stylist for Ugly Betty and other shows) pick out items for up and coming movies! And the girls I work with are all amazing and KR herself is so different than I would have expected (in a good way.) As for the other interns I've only met one so far, Freddie Prince Jr, or that's at least who he looks like. He's cute, around 6 ft, dark hair and pretty trendy. He's a senior jewelry design major at FIT but major bummer ladies...he's gay like I'm talkin B.Spears dancing type. But he's absolutely precious to say the least.

Asides from working,  Me and Madre spent yesterday shopping and attempting to get settled in. Key word, ATTEMPT, why do I say that? Well the fridge doesn't really cool, the cable doesn't work, I have no internet, and my AC blows out hot air. Fabulous right? Hopefully it'll all be fixed by Friday at the latest. Although aside from the bad I finally got my Christian Louboutins that I've always wanted. They should really come with a warning label that they're not meant to be worn for long periods of time. I've decided that for now on I'm wearing flats to work and then changing when I get on the elevator and make the trek up to the 15th floor. Today we ventured down to Chelsea Piers Sports Club and oh my is that place absolutely ah-freaking-mazing!! Basketball Courts, Rock Climbing Wall, Boxing, Swimming Pools, Beach Volleyball Court, Indoor Track, 100's of classes and the list just goes on. After a successful tour and eyeing the hotties Madre decided to let me join! Yay! So excited, I think I'll start going after work starting Monday!

I've learned a few things the past 36 hours: 
-The majority of men in Hell's Kitchen are gay. 
-On the flip side there are some amazingly good looking men here too. 
-I now understand why New Yorkers are grumpy in the winter. Cold weather & rain is the worst!
-I'm in a shoppers paradise, except hardly anything is in a size 0.
-I miss supermarkets more than ever. Corner grocery stores kinda always lack.
-With all the walking I'm about to be doing I'm going to have some killer calves! haha. 

It's now 11:15 PM and definitely past my bed time. Sweet dreams until tomorrow! (Pics to come soon!)


1 comment:

  1. I am so happy your first day went well! love you and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete